Why should I upgrade?
View the most recent release notes.
Attend a webinar to learn more about new SnapStream 6.2.
SnapStream for Mac, PC and iPad
- Play SD or HD TV recordings from any popular Web browser
- Supports Mac OS X 10.6.3 and above; Windows XP and above
- Smart plug-in self deploys; can usually be updated without IT
- Monitor TV with the auto-scrolling, interactive transcript
- Click on a keyword in the transcript to jump ahead
- Search, play, clip and share TV from your iPad
- Watch up to 4 recordings simultaneously with the multi-viewer
- Watch in-progress recordings and live TV
- Capture video screenshots in native resolution
- Play multiple pieces of content in sequence, with TV playlists
- Add custom tags to media items as search meta data NEW!
Share Clips in the Cloud
- Share TV clips in the cloud with anyone, anywhere
- Universally play TV clips from any computer, mobile device or tablet with a connection to the Internet
- Recipient receives an email link to view the video file
- New cloud options: download the file or view the transcript
- Share a clip at the point of creation, from the Web Player or using Workflows NEW!
- No email attachments are involved, which effectively circumvents file size limits and spam filters
- Unshare a clip at anytime; view stats on number of clip views from the interface or download a CSV
- Upload clips directly to YouTube and add clips to playlists NEW!
- Select a text block from the transcript to make a clip NEW!
- Make and save edits to the transcript text NEW!
Enhanced TV Search and TV Library
- TV search employs advanced language intelligence and contextual factors to deliver and suggest high quality, relevant results
- Sort TV library content by date and channel
- Preview program guide results above organic TV mentions
- Toggle between recordings and guide results
- Easy text fields simplify advanced search syntax
- Create saved filters to refine your TV search results
- Nest or expand search results by TV show
- Notifications pop up with progress on processing tasks
- Run Workflows, SmartChapters and ShowSqueeze from the search results, the Web Player and your Playlists NEW!
- Edit the transcript to fix typos or closed captioning errors NEW!
- Record segments of the day in reference to the program guide
- Record TV 24/7 with seamless recording block transitions
- IR blast sub-channels when using ATSC/QAM converter boxes
- Black out specific chunks of time from your 24/7 recording jobs
- Drag and drop to set recording priorities on the fly
- Distinguish partial recordings from full-length, so you can tell if a job did not complete
- Easily resolve scheduling conflicts in the Recording Manager using priorities
SmartChapter Commercial Detection
- SmartChapter auto-detects where TV commercials occur
- Web Player timeline now displays color-coded segments
- Skip between programming and commercial SmartChapters
- Two ways to SmartChapter your recordings:
- Select a batch or individual recording from the library
- Set up a workflow for specific types of recordings
- SmartChapter generation is now up to 200% faster for HD files and 40% faster for SD files
Set Up Workflows
- Initiate Workflows based on triggers, such as when a recording starts, days after a recording finished, or when a clip is created
- Using filters, like category and channel, to selectively perform actions such as ShowSqueeze and SmartChapter
- ShowSqueeze Live allows you to transcode recordings as they hit the air and also view the video while it's converting
- Run Workflows from the Library ,the Web Player or a Playlist NEW!
- Set permissions for different user groups to run Workflows NEW!
- Automatically share clips and transcripts NEW!
- Export to Amazon S3 (online cloud storage) NEW!
- Search TV from the Web interface up to 4X faster
- Transcode to H.264 over 50% faster
- Program guide updates are up to 80% faster
- Daily updates occur more frequently and consistently
- Lighter, faster and more efficient queries for high traffic
- Edit custom lineups from the Web interface
- Intelligent updater removes duplicates from multiple TV sources
- Faster page loads in the Web interface
Build a SnapStream Cluster
- Record and search more TV by adding SD/HD tuners
- Expand your archive with SnapStream Storage Nodes
- Save disk space by mass-ShowSqueezing recordings to WMV or H.264
- Transfer TV content into editing suites seamlessly with the HD-SDI Playout node
- Networking enhancements for large clusters
- Programmatically interface with SnapStream software
- Implement custom solutions quickly and easily
- Pass and receive data between SnapStream and external apps
- Do things like: manage and create tasks; search and create notifications; automate custom workflows
- Uses JSON Web Services
- Improved database backend: SQL Server Express instead of INI and XML files
- Record TV and execute tasks with greater fault tolerance
- Recordings and post-processing tasks are dispatched across nodes with more intelligent error handling
- Service architecture designed from the ground up to be more robust, e.g. you will receive a notification e-mail if any individual tuner goes offline and each tuner will automatically be reallocated to match your recording priorities
- Enhancements to back-end file streaming improves recording reliability in large clusters
- Improved reliability of recordings in a cluster configuration
- Improvements from 4.9.3 to 6.2:
Windows Server 2008
XML and INI files
SQL Server Express
SQL Server Express
- New web interface runs on Microsoft IIS Express and is simpler, more nimble, and more intuitive
- Logging interface is faster and fully equipped to handle clustered systems
- Improved logging enables you to easily search your logs to isolate user activity and resolve problems
- “Prediction-based" file distribution makes more efficient use of disk space by using the upcoming recording schedule to put files in the best possible place
- Oldest content expires first, casting across all hard drives (in a cluster)
- Folder security in the Web interface: grant specific user groups permission to view and access particular video folders in the library
- Encrypted communication between all clients and SnapStream for improved security
- Improved task resource allocation and prioritization
SnapStream Version 6 Upgrade FAQ
It depends on several factors:
- You must be within a current and fully-paid service contract.
- Your SnapStream appliance must meet the hardware qualifications—SnapStreams on a first generation platform will not qualify up front, but hardware upgrades can be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Contact us by phone at 1-877-696-3674 or at email@example.com to verify your eligibility.
Best reasons for you to upgrade now:
- You want to simplify the task of managing multiple SnapStreams by combining them into a single SnapStream Cluster
- You heavily use the Web interface, and need to be able to play back search results and create clips from the Web Browser
- You would like to set up Workflows for ShowSqueeze, SmartChapter and more
- You would benefit from sharing TV clips in the cloud
- You need a multi-view environment
- You want to burn DVDs from the Web interface
- You want to detect commercial breaks and verify ads with SmartChapters
- You want to take advantage of SnapStream's API
- There’s a bug fix in version 6.2 that solves a problem you’ve been encountering. Reference the full release notes
- Contact us by phone at 1-877-696-3674 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to verify your eligibility
- If you’re running 4.x, the upgrade to the latest version of the software will be a hands-on process with our support team. After prep, the entire upgrade procedure can involve up to a day of downtime. Additional SnapStream equipment may be recommended or even required.
- If you’re on 5.x, the upgrade process is relatively easy. Contact our support team for upgrade instructions.